Sunday, July 30, 2017

Weeks 5 and 6: Second trip to Rabat and Gearing up for the end

Long time no see! Sorry I neglected to post last week. I normally take my Sundays to make these posts but we left around 9am and did not return until late Sunday night so alas, I did not write a post.

At the end of the last post I was asked if I would go back to the Hammam and if Moroccans usually eat late. To the first question, I will go back but not in the summer. It's too damn hot to go back in the summer as going from 105 degree into a sauna and strenuously scrubbing yourself is a helluva time and it makes me feel clean but it's a bit too hot. I've heard its great to go in the fall when its cooler and the sauna and scrubbing warms you up and feels refreshing but at the same time it gets more crowded and the one thing I hate more than crowds is being sweaty and wet...and in a crowd...of equally sweaty and wet men. But nonetheless everyone goes so it can't be that bad.

On the topic of dinner, yes most Moroccans tend to eat pretty late but after awhile you kind of get used to it. The only downside is I usually wake up in the early morning hours having to pee. Then again this happens fairly often even in the US, as those who know me will tell you, because I have a tiny bladder and drink a lot (usually water and coke and juice here because there's not much in the way of beer, especially with the Host fam, very haram).

This week, I have a debate to moderate for my formal Arabic class and next week as well as final presentations and interviews for Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic classes in the next two weeks. Only two more weeks of class before final exams and then summer break!

All for now,

Johnny M.

No comments:

Post a Comment