Monday, August 14, 2017

Week 8: Last week of classes for the summer!

Hello Everyone! I can't believe I'm saying this but I have finished my summer classes and in two weeks will be moving onto Fall classes. I believe I went into some detail about what the fall will entail course-wise so I won't elaborate on that. It's been an incredibly beneficial summer in which my Arabic has improved a lot in a very short period of time so I am very excited to see what will happen in the fall and spring. I noticed two questions in the comments of my last blog post.

1 - What classes are there at the Community center?
2 - What classes are offered at the gym?

In regards to the first questions I do not know for sure but the director definitely talked about there being Writing and Reading and Computer Literacy classes but he also added that if we would like to lead special seminars on topics of interest with the older kids and adults then we are more than welcome. He was also creating spaces for art and dance and music classes to eventually make their way into the center. In terms of what I would do if I had to teach it would really depend on what the kids want. I'm simply at the center to interact with the community and use Arabic rather than to teach the children topics I personally consider important or interesting. I don't consider it appropriate for me to enter their space and say here's what you need to know. If they want to learn a little more about a topic I have some background in that's a difference story. I also am not super interested in teaching a class by myself but who knows? That may change.

My gym, judging by the music that always seems to be blasting whenever I go, has a lot of dance classes. There is also a pool (which I do not have access to, costs extra, I'm cheap) and I believe they have swimming classes and water aerobics and the like as I see many fairly large groups of people coming and going. Other gyms in the city have similar classes and even some martial arts. A good friend goes to a kickboxing class at her gym a couple times a week and they've already gotten into sparring. So there seems to be a good bit of variety in what classes gyms in Meknes offer but the offerings also vary by gender and many gyms have separate (at times less convenient) hours for women.

As always, thanks for reading and keep the questions coming (feel free to ask about anything). Next week I will probably discuss my upcoming beach trip and plans for the break.

All for now,

Johnny M.

No comments:

Post a Comment