Monday, August 28, 2017

Weeks 9 and 10: End of Summer testing and Beach week!

Hello Everyone! I hope you all missed me. I have officially started the fall semester after spending a very relaxing week on the North Moroccan coast in a beach town called Asilah. My loyal followers may recognize the name of the town from my travels in Morocco two summers ago. I even stayed in the same Hostel. In addition to spending 4 blissful days on the beach (and finishing two books), my classmates and I went clubbing in Tangier and spent a couple days exploring the old medina in Asilah as well as the secondhand clothing markets. We arrived in Tangier around 11:30pm thinking the clubs started getting busy around midnight but little did we know that peak club time in Tangier is between 1:30am and 2:30am, which normally is waaaay past my bedtime. Nonetheless, it was one of the most enjoyable nights (or mornings I guess I could say since we didn't get back to our hostel in Asilah until about 4:45am) of my trip thus far. I have an abbreviated week due to Eid al-Adha (al-Kibiir) with roughly translates to Day of Sacrifice, where my host family will be slaughtering a goat. I have never experienced this holiday in an Arab country before so I will be sure to give a detailed description in my next post to give you all a more holistic picture of its traditions and what not. Since many families eat all the of goat and obviously do not want to waste anything I have heard descriptions of many different interesting meat dishes that I will be sure to share with you all next week! Thanks for reading and keep the questions coming!

All for now,

Johnny M.

No comments:

Post a Comment